At the risk of sounding naive and/or insensitive, why do (some) people love the cross for killing Jesus Christ but hate the Jews for (allegedly) the same deed?

5

The cross did not kill Jesus... I never heard of anyone loving the cross. I have heard of people loving the SYMBOLISM of the cross. I think you are not naive or insensitive. I think you are looking for an argument and with that being said Darren ended it perfectly. Peace out.

Don Barzini Profile
Don Barzini answered

Truth be told, it was the Romans who executed Christ (as the Gospels tell it) not the Jews. Crucifixion was a common punishment by the Pagan Romans. Many thousands were killed this way.

The Cross represents Jesus’ sacrifice and his subsequent Resurrection, a powerful symbol of the primary tenet of Christian beliefs.

To my atheist eyes, it’s a bit disturbing to display a cruel Pagan murder device as a holy symbol, but to each their own.

To anyone calling themselves Christian who hates Jews (for whatever reason) check yourself, this is not what Jesus taught.

Tom  Jackson Profile
Tom Jackson answered

Wikipedia has a good summary of the issue of deicide by Jews---And if I quote Wikipedia, it's because I agree what it says in the instant case:

Jewish deicide is a historic belief among some in Christianity that Jewish people as a whole were responsible for the death of Jesus.[1] The antisemitic slur "Christ-killer" was used by mobs to incite violence against Jews and contributed to many centuries of pogroms, the murder of Jews during the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition and the Holocaust.[2]

In the catechism produced by the Council of Trent, the Catholic Church affirmed that the collectivity of sinful humanity was responsible for the death of Jesus, not only the Jews.[3] In the deliberations of the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965), the Roman Catholic Church under Pope Paul VI repudiated belief in collective Jewish guilt for the crucifixion of Jesus.[4] It declared that the accusation could not be made "against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today".

The Bible refers to the "happy fault" that original sin is because of the even greater good that God has designed for mankind in His overcoming of the disorder in the universe introduced by man's sin.

Inherent in "undoing" original sin and the establishment of the new reality that Christ ushered in is the Cross as a symbol of the great price that had to be paid to redeem mankind, as well as the God-man who did in fact redeem us.

I would not characterize my feelings toward the "Cross" as "love," but I do find it to be a a powerful symbol of what it is to be cut off from God.

And CS Lewis, the Christian apologist, refers in The Chronicles of Narnia to the sacrifice on the Cross to be the "deeper magic of the universe."  (Specifically in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe===but I don have a copy available to me at the moment to give you an edition and page number.)

Darren Wolfgang Profile
Darren Wolfgang answered

First all , we are allowed to believe the way we want it's freedom of religion .

Second all, we are all allowed to believe in any religion and shouldn't be judged , if one wants to be atheist than let them do so.

Third all,  you believe how you want to and or whatever Gods you want pray to and I will stick with mine .

Peace Out , 

I Rest My Case

It is not that people love the cross as they love Jesus for his sacrifice, which is symbolized by the cross. No one with any sense 5hinks the Jews killed Jesus. As Don B already stated, it was the Roman's who executed Jesus. And Jesus was a Jew. So to hate the Jews would be to hate Jesus.

Anonymous