On the surface, the answer to whether homework should be banned or not seems pretty simple. "Of course it shouldn't".
In reality, however, it's not that straightforward... homework often doesn't have the affects that teachers and parents hope, and it can also be a frustrating and burdensome experience for students too.
I'll explain the advantages and disadvantages of homework a little more below...
Advantages of homework
- Homework allows a student to make use of what has been taught in school. It's a great way to develop skills and techniques, and to show that the student has understood the concept of the topic at hand.
- Homework allows the student to develop the notion of responsibility. It's up to them to make sure that they complete the set work on time. If not, there are consequences, and this translates to the working sector following the completion of education.
- Homework also encourages individual development. It's more difficult for a student to rely on others to assist them in completing set tasks outside of the classroom. Teachers and parents can therefore observe how well the student is doing.
Disadvantages of homework
- Homework can potentially interfere with other important aspects of life, including social events outside of school, and precious time building relationships with family members and friends.
- Too much homework can lead a student to become bored of the task at hand, and therefore, they're unlikely to perform as well. This is particularly relevant if the student is struggling with a topic, which can ultimately lead to frustration.
- There are times within a student's life when homework gets in the way of more important aspects. A prime example of this is when exams are on the horizon. Homework can distract from revision, and as such, negatively affect the student's exam result.
Ultimately, homework is a necessary part of a student's life. It shouldn't be banned because it's valuable in the sense that it encourages personal development. That being said, it's important that that the amount of homework given to student's doesn't hinder other important aspects of life.