It is important that we learn to read, write and speak English for the following reasons.
It is the most widely spoken language in the world, Americans, Britishers, Australians speak English. Most of the Europeans know English, In India, Pakistan, China, Japan fair amount of people know English. Many people may not be able to speak English well but they can understand and write English fairly well.
English is the medium of instruction in most of the good school across the world. In India, China Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, in the Middle East, in most of the schools where the elite go or people who want to go for higher education, go for English schools. Therefore it is important to learn English.
In the US where most of the research and higher education of good quality exists the medium of instruction is English.
For trade and commerce English is necessary, most companies all over the world follow the English law to settle disputes.
All in all it is important to know English, since it is a world language, most widely spoken and understood, it is therefore imperative to learn English.
English is the most widely used language in the history of our planet. More than half the books of the world are written in English. English has the largest vocabulary.
There is another very important reason--- it is a crazy language.
1) There is no egg in eggplant.
2) There is no apple in pineapple.
3) English muffins weren't invented in England.
4) French fries weren't invented in French.
5) Guinea pig is neither a pig nor from Guinea.
6) Quicksand works slowly.
7) If plural of tooth is teeth, why shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth?
8) If the teacher taught, why doesn't the preacher praught?
9) Only in English will you find noses that run and feet that smell.
10) How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same?
11) How comes a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
12) If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
English reflects the creativity of the human race--- which, of course, isn't a race at all!
Because english is the 2nd most spoken language in the world. It can help you get better jobs and stuff. Boring it may be, it is helpful.