How Do I Register For GCSE As A Private Candidate?


2 Answers

Oscar De La Huerte Profile
If you want to register to take a GCSE as a private candidate, I would recommend contacting a recognized local education authority.

Alternatively, you can apply to take a GCSE directly through one of the following examination boards:

  • Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA)
  • Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations (OCR)
  • Edexcel
  • Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC)
  • Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment (CCEA)
Resgistering for a GCSE as a private candidate

Most people take GCSE's through their academic institution or school.

Where a school doesn't offer GCSE examination (such as in a country where GSCE examination is not publicly available), you can enrol to take the exam through another accredited institution (such as the British Council).

A private candidate usually falls into one of the following categories:

  • Part-time student
  • Someone enrolled in long-distance learning
  • Someone who is home-schooled or self-taught
If you fall into one of the above categories, I'd really recommend contacting an accredited examination board.

I found the Edexcel website particularly helpful.

The Student Room is another useful web-forum that'll help you learn more about enrolling for GCSE's as a private candidate.
Sana Rashid Profile
Sana Rashid answered
There is a Website for The British Council for every country and region.

Go to the home page of your country's British Council website and search for GCSE private candidate form; fill it in and send to the office.

Answer Question